Thursday 2 October 2014

Ping 127.0.53.53

Ping result of 127.0.53.53

In setting up my environment I had an old active directory domain that I built in 2009 called fight.club.

After initial set up I can across an interesting ping result of 127.0.53.53 when pinging my domain fight.club.

127.0.53.53 is a response when there is a name collision with a local domain an existing internet domain. One thing I had failed to think of is that the TLD .club had come into existence since the last time I had used my domain. The .club TLD came into existence on the 18th January 2014

Further reading:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-collision-2013-12-06-en#127.0.53.53

127.0.53.53 is a special IPv4 address that will appear in system logs alerting system administrators that there is potential name collision issue, enabling a quick diagnosis and remediation. The "53" is used as a mnemonic to indicate a DNS-related problem owing to the use of network port 53 for the DNS service.

System administrators that encounter a system error due to name collision are encouraged to take the following steps:

  1. Report the problem to ICANN »
    Instances where there is a reasonable belief of demonstrable, severe harm as a consequence of a name collision should be reported.
  2. Read the Guide to Name Collision Identification and Mitigation for IT Professionals (version 1.1) [PDF, 476 KB] and implement the measures outlined therein.
  3. Spread the word about the potential for name collision occurrence and mitigation in your professional circle.
Next step to rename my domain was needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment